No one knows what 2021 will bring.
Nobody knows what the “new normal” will look like. Will there be wedding ceremonies featuring every person a couple has ever met, packed stadiums, concert venues with thousands of people crooning the same tune? Will the now-2021 Summer Olympics happen? Will awards shows be back? Will we even care? Well, yes we definitely will.
There are no clear answers. But there is hope.
We have great news in that there are vaccines now proving to be 95% effective in preventing the coronavirus. If the pandemic had happened ten years ago we would not have had such a quick solution. Today’s technological innovations have allowed the vaccines to be developed at unprecedented speeds.
Another thing to look forward to in 2021 is a greater focus on well being. Employers are recognizing and empathizing with the stress their workers are experiencing. Families are learning how to be together and entire communities now understand the importance of taking care of themselves and each other.
In 2021, we will all be very focused on how to be better humans and how to help others more than we have before.
Benicians have always supported each other, especially those in need. We have always stepped up in a crisis, and the past year is no exception. Businesses help other businesses, artists help other artists, the young help the old. It is this history of compassion that will see us through to the end of the pandemic.
The pandemic has tested each of us to the very depths of our being. But like everything, it will pass. There’ll be a day in the future where we’ll all look around and let out one epic, collective sigh of relief.
There’s nothing wrong with looking forward to a 2021, post-Covid world. Here are the wishes of a few Covid-weary Benicians.
- A proper vacation – Everyone is more than ready for an extended stay away from home, and a trip out to some faraway, golden, perpetually pleasant oceanside resort.
- Watching a movie in an actual theater, with popcorn.
- Carefree hugs and handshakes.
- Attending a concert – in person.
- Baseball, basketball and football – in person
- Going to the gym.
- Stress-free haircuts.
- Going out to eat, and actually dining inside, with several people.
- Family gatherings with the extended relatives, including grandma and grandpa.