Downtown Magic & Mystery With A Beatle’s Twist, Plus Top 10 Reasons To Shop Local
Lucy in the sky with diamonds
Benicia's downtown has become a magical mystery tour from top to bottom, with a train station going nowhere and diamonds in the trees. To properly experience First Street, be prepared for an adventure in food, drink, shopping, spas and music. Anchor your yellow submarine … with all your friends aboard … many of them live next door … and the band begins to play!
Twist and shout
In the heart of Benicia, positioned at the top, bottom and the middle of the street, three family-owned businesses have opened their doors, filling the air with the smell of bread, pastries and locally roasted coffee along with classic Italian cuisine—with a California twist … and shout! All three restaurants have taken their new spaces to new levels, and amped them up several decibels with the use of brick walls, high ceilings and industrial finishes.
I'll buy you a diamond ring my friend, if it makes you feel alright
Spectacular views include sunsets over the Carquinez Strait and the Benicia State Capitol, with a garden oasis on its grounds. Some of our gift stores are on the move, settling on the busy thoroughfare close to long-established neighbors, all of which offer the latest in cool gifts for important people in your life (including you). You’ll find abundant choices from diamond jewelry to children’s gifts and everything in between.
First Street has its own independent book store where the owner’s love for the written word is evident. It’s also a community gathering place with book clubs and community events. Shelves are full of the latest titles and classics, with a kid’s section, journals, calendars and more—everything an indie book store should be.
Considering all the events, fairs, parades, wine walks, farmers market and other fun that draws thousands to Downtown Benicia on a regular basis, is it any wonder that after a hard day's night, Benicia makes you feel alright?
Top Ten Reasons to Shop Benicia First
- Merchandise you can’t find just anywhere, handpicked for you.
- Friendly customer service: shop owners get to know their customers.
- Convenience—Downtown Benicia is close to everything.
- Each block offers a unique restaurant, bar or café experience.
- Lines are short and gift-wrapping is free at most downtown shops.
- Parking is free (with time limits), and there’s a free parking lot on East 2nd & F Streets.
- Shopping local avoids Bay Area traffic and bridge tolls.
- Over 25 spas and salons that can revive the most ardent shopper.
- Downtown is hopping with event shopping, tree lighting, carriage rides, parade, holiday market and in-store promotions.
- Supporting local businesses keeps our town vital, maintains the heart of the community, and contributes to the local economy.