620 Marin Street
Vallejo, CA 94590
Insta & Facebook: @anchorpantryvallejo
So, you’ve found a new and exciting recipe but can’t find “preserved lemons” or “Korean chili sauce” or “sesame miso.”
Look no further, the Anchor Pantry in downtown Vallejo has an unbelievable selection of gourmet items — savory, sweet and everything in between. There’s a beautiful refrigerated case of gourmet cheeses, salamis, sausages, ham, prosciutto and more. And…wait for it….ACME bread delivered daily. I know, right?!?! Gracie can barely contain herself — this place is beyond AWESOME.
This holiday season, indulge your tasty, creative side.
Assemble a stunning charcuterie platter — Anchor Pantry has everything you need. Crackers and cookies, mustards and salsas, Marcona almonds, tins of gourmet tuna, anchovies, mussels, tapenades, bacon jam, delicious dressings, flavored oils, specialty vinegars, unique spices, pestos and pickles, capers and cornichons — you’ll be charmed by the choices. Imported dried Italian pasta — no GMOs — the difference is shocking. Also, CHOCOLATE and specialty coffees and teas.
Local owner Jessica Brooks comes from a family of foodies, has a four year degree in hospitality management, and is an experienced, professional restaurant chef. This small batch gourmet food market is her dream and reflects her mission to share the flavors of the world and highlight the local specialty goods that reflect the diversity of Vallejo and the surrounding areas. Jessica opened her market in 2021 to much acclaim. After 13 months of success, an arson fire took down her business. She describes with so much gratitude how it is only because of community support that she was able to reopen in a larger location across the street in late July 2022. From the minute you enter Jessica’s market, you can’t miss the happy positivity and high level of quality that surrounds you. Gracie Gourmet can’t recommend Anchor Pantry enough. All are welcome! Happy Holidays!
Pasta with Lemon, Capers & Tuna
- ½ – ¾ cup quality olive oil
- Large white onion, very thinly sliced
- 4 – 5 cloves garlic, peeled, thinly sliced
- 7 oz jar of capers with brine
- Two 5 oz cans high quality albacore tuna, in oil
- 4 tsp minced, Preserved Lemon (yum!)
- 1/8 + tsp Italian pepper flakes
- 8 oz dried Italian pasta (your choice: linguine, penne, rigatoni, etc.)
- Heat 5 – 6 quarts water in large pot for cooking pasta, add splash of salt and splash of olive oil
- Cook onions and garlic in 2 tbsp olive oil in medium sized skillet over medium heat until soft and golden.
- Stir in tuna with oil and capers with brine. Break up tuna with back of a spoon.
- Add ½ cup olive oil, preserved lemon and red pepper flakes. Cook all until broken down and hot. Add more olive oil if dry, add more lemon if needed, add kosher salt and freshly ground pepper to taste.
- Finish cooking pasta, preserving 1 cup of the pasta water before draining.
- In large serving bowl, toss tuna mixture with hot cooked pasta, adding pasta water if needed.
- Serve with lemon wedges and an offering of red pepper flakes.
Serves 4 – 6.
1 hr, 50 min
It’s about Christmas and it’s about Fairy Godmothers.
If that floats your boat, you’re going to be happy to watch this fantasy comedy/drama about a young, inexperienced fairy godmother in training, trying to prove that people still need fairy godmothers. I know that I do!
This is a charming family film from a far away place called Motherland — a place with moss covered castles in a kingdom for fairy godmothers who are meant to help humans find their Happily Ever After. We meet Eleanor, who is the youngest in this dying enterprise that’s about to be turned into a Tooth Fairy factory. Eleanor sets about proving her worth and the worth of all fairy godmothers with magic and optimism and chunks of humor and hugs. She steps into the real world and tries her hand at helping a real grown up person make her dreams come true. There’s Christmas music, a Disney villain, lots of cuteness, a helping of romance and yes, a very happy ending.
Filmed in a snow covered Boston and directed by Sharon McGuire, this movie stars Gillian Bell and Isla Fisher. Both actresses bring their hearts and their humor to this fairytale — perfect for this season of giving.
Movie Magic gives Godmothered 4 Moons out of 5.