Christmas Tree Safety Tips by Benicia Fire Department
A real tree can add to the spirit of Christmas by filling your home with beauty and the scent of pine. But a real tree can also pose a fire hazard. Each year, more than 400 residential fires nationwide involve Christmas trees and tragically nearly 40 deaths and 100 injuries result from those fires.
- Keep the stand filled with water so the tree does not dry out quickly.
- Stand your tree away from fireplaces, radiators and other heat sources. Make sure the tree does not block foot traffic or doorways.
- If you use an artificial tree, choose one that is tested and labeled as fire resistant. Artificial trees with built-in electrical systems should have the Underwriters Laboratory (UL) label.
- Only use indoor lights indoors (and outdoor lights only outdoors). Replace or repair any damaged light sets.
- Turn off all lights on trees and decorations when you go to bed or leave the house.
- Never place lighted candles on a tree or near any flammable materials.
- The Benicia Fire Department wishes you an enjoyable and safe Holiday season!