Pick Your Poison: Halloween Cocktails
Writing this in the beginning of September with 100+ degree weather and stores filling up with fall and Halloween decor, I found it a bit challenging to get into the “pumpkin spice latte” mood.
Searching high and low for cocktail recipes in my air conditioned apartment, I think I found just the thing to get us ready for the spooky season.
I’ve found two recipes to entertain our dark and light side.
Get in touch with your dark side after a hard day of work, road rage and Amazon losing your package. This one is not for the faint-hearted. A little sweet, more tart, and looks like the blood of your enemies.
The Stone Cold Witch, also known as the Hibiscus Martini. Sweetlifebake.com
Yields 2 cocktails. Serve super chilled and garnished with a candied hibiscus flower.
Hibiscus Syrup (can be found at BevMo or any liquor store)
For Hibiscus Martini:
- 2 ounces vodka
- 1/2 ounce orange liqueur
- 1 ounce fresh lime juice
- 3/4 ounce hibiscus syrup
- To a cocktail shaker filled with ice, add vodka, orange liqueur, lime juice and hibiscus syrup.
- Shake vigorously until well chilled.
- Strain into a chilled martini glass. Garnish with a hibiscus flower or edible orchid.
When you feel like you shushed the devil on your shoulder and transformed back into the angel that you are, try this recipe instead of going to Starbucks and keep that mood going!
Taste like Hobby Lobby, also known as White Pumpkin Cocktail
- 1½ ounces white rum
- 3 ounces unsweetened vanilla/almond milk
- 1 tsp. honey
- Pumpkin spice – a teeny, tiny dash
- Pour 1½ oz. white rum and 3 oz. vanilla/almond milk into a shaker with ice and add 1 tsp. of honey.
- Shake vigorously and pour into a frosted coup glass.
- Sprinkle with a teeny bit of pumpkin spice.
Notes: If you don’t have pre-mixed pumpkin spice, you can make your own. It’s 3 tbsp. of cinnamon, 2 tsp. ground ginger, 2 tsp. ground nutmeg, 1½ tsp. ground cloves.