Bar None: Basil Limeade
When I think of Earth Day, I think of something refreshing and a bit savory, with a hint of vegetation.
That may not be the most tantalizing description to everyone, but I promise this drink is nothing but enlightening to the senses.
The Basil Limeade.
A simple cocktail, this can also be enjoyed as a mocktail that won’t go to waste in your fridge if you don’t use this blend right away. Great to go with your favorite clear spirit or possibly using it as a chicken marinade for later.
- 8 limes
- 1/2 cup honey
- 4 cups of water
- 1 bunch fresh basil
- Pitcher or punch bowl
- Half a bottle of your favorite clear spirit. A nice floral gin or blanco tequila would be amazing with this.
- Slice two of the limes into half-circles and set aside.
- Roll the remaining six limes back and forth over the counter with the palm of your hand. Cut limes in half, and juice them by hand or with a juicer into a pitcher.
- In a small saucepan, bring water to a boil and add honey. Once fully combined, pour syrup into the pitcher, and add 4 cups water. Stir until well blended. Add more honey, if desired.
- Add sliced lime and fresh basil to the pitcher, then refrigerate 1 hour.
- Add your choice of spirit before serving.
- Serve cold, garnished with fresh basil and cucumber slice.
Don’t steal the limes from your neighbor. Neighbors share the love; we know you’re hiding the fresh limes.